1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String sets that break in unevenly

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by S.F.Sorrow, Dec 1, 2018.

1. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I tried doing a search about this but found nothing.

Anyway, most string sets break in unevenly to some extent. But in most cases that means the lower strings lose their "new string" zing before the higher strings. Which is so common that I've kinda learned to adapt to it almost subconsciously.

But then there's a couple of odd ones...

Like TI Superalloys. I've tried several sets and the A string always seems to retain that metallic "new string" sound a LOT longer than the rest and takes a couple of weeks to settle. I absolutely LOVE these strings once they've settled but I find them almost unplayable for the first couple of weeks. It's always the A. Certainly not the strings I would install in an emergency just before an important studio session. But once they've settled they sound amazing and last forever. I've had the same experience with TI jazz flats too but to a lesser extent.

Rotosound flats... another weird one. They're pretty much the opposite of every other strings out there. The higher strings settle in VERY quickly but the lower strings retain the zing a LOT longer. Particularly the E. They stay EXTREMELY unbalanced for at least 1-2 weeks in my experience. Again: definitely not the strings I would install in an emergency, when I need something to work ASAP. I kinda like them once they've settled but when they're new I just can't stand them.

Are there any strings you would never consider using as an emergency backup when you need something to work ASAP because their break in period is so uneven across the strings that you just can't handle it?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018