Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String sets: XL vs. L

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 5not4, Sep 17, 2000.

1. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Here's a situation I haven't seen on any of the lists. My apologies if this has been covered before.

I have a new Cirrus 5. This is a 35" scale bass so it requires an extra/super long string set. I accidently bought a long set and it, of course, will not work on this bass. The string windings fall short of the nut. About an inch, hmm, figure that!?!

Anyway, when I install an XL set I have to cut off a lot of the string, at least 5-6". You cannot wind the entire string length on the post. This is mostly for the B, E. The A, D and G have to be cut but just a few inches which I am used to doing with a 34" scale bass. This seems unusual to me that the strings should be that much too long especially when these are Cirrus strings. I have not tried other strings on this bass yet. I like the Cirrus strings and have not had a desire to try something different, yet.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just me and I'm being too critical. It seems like the string should match the guitar a little bit better than this. I can't use the Long length set but have to cut a lot off the XL set.

2. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I use the Cirrus stings on my Cirrus 5 also, and you have to trim the strings. But, I have always had to trim strings no matter what the bass or strings I used. I guess I got used to it, it's really no big deal.

Mark

3. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Yeah, I've always had to trim the strings, too. I guess it's just that much different for 35" scale strings. Maybe after a few more years and the longer scale becomes more common the strings will adjust to the longer scale.

BTW, what's your take on the Cirrus strings? I haven't tried any other type on the bass yet. They seem to be comparable to most other nickel rounds in their price range. I like the gauge of them. 128 seems to be a perfect size for the B. For some reason 130 and greater just seems to be too big to me.

4. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I really like the Cirrus strings. I like the way they feel and sound, and the consistancy of the sound from one string to the next.

Mark