1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String silk question...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I have a set of TI flats that I am moving from a Jazz to a fretless bass I have.. I noticed that the silk winding seems to be too long.. If I go through the body the windings hang over the nut.. If I go from the bridge the windings hang over the saddle.. I am wondering what harm if any I could do to the string and which end would be best to remove the silk from.. I am thinking the nut end would be best and just go through the body because the string would sit in the saddle more securely (metal to metal as opposed to silk on metal).. any opinions or insight on this?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Remove from the leader end, not the ball end. That's what Jack Cassidy used to do on Pyramid flats in the '60's when they were long enough for a Hofner 30-inch scale plus the length to the tailpiece, but not long enough for the Guild Starfire 30.5 inch scale and extra lenght to the tailpiece.

3. It is generally NOT recommended for flats to be strung thru body, although I have not had any experiences with TI's personally. (So, I could be wrong.)

4. I have TI Flats that have sat on my 54 P Bass Reissue for five years now, and they are body thru. No problems thus far. Flats that are higher tensioned are much more apt to be problematic if strung body thru. That's my working theory, anyway.

5. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    La Bella offer flat sets specifically for through body bridges.

6. I have experience with ti and I tried through body until I realised the break angle at the bridge contributed to cracking on the g and d strings

I nearly gave ti's away but persisted with stringing from back of the bridge and not through the body and since then all good

But they can be tricky in that I think from reading other posts it's best to give a good amount of winding on at the post

I was originally disappointed with ti's on my jazz bass and used my last set on my p bass. Again strung through back of the bridge and this time with more windings at the post

I have commented in other threads but to say it again I am very happy with the ti / p bass combination

Rossa

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You need extra long Jazz Flats for that instrument.