1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String size calculator?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nelson Guitars, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Nelson Guitars

Nelson Guitars

Aug 14, 2006
    Novato California
    Custom builder
    I am looking for opinions on the various string calculators available these days. Ease of use is key here. My current need is to calculate what size string is appropriate over a variable scale length (read fan frets) so as to balance the tension/feel of the strings. It may also drive me towards a left brained decision on what the appropriate scale length can be given available string sizes.

Perhaps it isn't a calculator but a chart or table that is convenient and easy to read?

Greg N

2. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    This sounds like a great idea. Where I work, when someone comes up with a great idea, and it hasn't been done yet, guess who gets elected to do it?

3. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    Can't really be done without a lot of work. There is a formula to calculating tension based off of three factors - scale length, pitch and unit weight. Scale-length and pitch is easy. Unfortunately, there is very little material available for unit weight (pounds per square inch of string, IIRC?), the sole one I know of being the D'Addario tension-chart. (Google - it's easy to find)
    They're the only ones I know of that have mapped the unit-weight/string-gauges of their own strings. Mind you that unit weight varies between brand and model of string.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  5. Nelson Guitars

Nelson Guitars

Aug 14, 2006
    Novato California
    Custom builder
    Dude, You rock!

Excel geek extraordinarie! I love Excel sheets and this one is killer.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg N

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Glad to be of service. I've got a few other SSs posted, you should be able to find them on a search. They may or may not all be in the FAQ.