Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String size??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzanova, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi!

I'm going to play in a stonerrock band and tune down in C.
    Now I wonder what size the strings should be?? I have 100-40 strings on now and they work great when I play in D as I do now. The stings are like over cooked spaghetti if I tune down in C with the strings that I have on now. So what size do you recomend??

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I've been running .45-1.05 for the past couple of years playing from standard to Drop C. They are beefy enough for a good rumble-ly sound.

I play Blue Steels, but they are sort of course feeling. My next set is going to be some Rotosounds I think.

One band I play in is a stoner/metal band that is in my signature and my other one is along the lines of Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, and Hatebreed so I need to be as heavy as possible.

[edit]
    If you are going to stay in C you may want to adjust your truss rod to give the neck enough tension to keep the strings tight, that may be another reason why the strings are so sloppy.

3. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    A set of .45-1.05 Rotosound should be good then.

And a visit at a local bassguitar tec.

Thx for the help.

4. I think if you're going to do with a C, buy an other string set, because the size have a role in the sound IMHO!!

Vince

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There are some sets made specifically for de-tuning, such as the GHS boomers in .050-.115.

6. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Do you have other sugestions about special sets for de-tuning?

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I don't do any de-tuning right now, but Snarling Dogs makes a set called Sub-Woofers that's .050-.110, and Rotosound makes the BS66 set which is .043-.110, since Billy sometimes tunes down to D.