1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String Skipping vs Raking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishface, Jul 18, 2012.

1. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    It seems that relying on raking falters when you have to deal with skipping strings. Is there a good way of dealing with this for raking, or is alternate picking just more efficient?

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Learn to alternate. I personally use both techniques, but learning to alternate makes some things much easier to play (sounds cleaner too)

And now, I'd like to introduce....JimmyM!

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Agreed.

4. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I've been trying to practise AP but it starts to feel very unnatural. I try to have my right hand as relaxed as possible, but i have more control over the strings if i pluck from a more 'claw' like (not as extreme as it sounds, btw) posture where the finger has more contact with the string and moves further back toward the hand once plucked. Otherwise it feels almost sloppy. I'm not sure which is the correct way (if either) as i can't really get used to either.

5. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    There are a series of exercises to improve considerably your technique. Based on permutation concept, it's a nice challenge to face it.
    I'm sorry but it's too long to explain here, just pm me and I will be happy to help you.
    Cheers. Enrico

6. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    If you mean the michael manring/bass fitness stuff (the same thing is in that book) then I'm familiar with it. Those are left hand issues primarily. I'm talking about correct right hand technique. I do not wish to practice poor technique.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Play with your fingers... :bag:

8. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    My teacher gave me YYZ as an exercise to focus on AP, just started of slow and built up speed, it worked.

9. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    er, I do.

10. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    ugh, rush's worst piece of music.

there's got to be better ways.

But that's not the reason for this post. learning that song won't answer the question I asked.

11. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Well sorry dude...... Just giving an example.

12. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    sorry, didn't mean to bite your head off. It's just frustrating not knowing if you're learning proper technique. I feel my fingers and hands are looser as i've really started practising again but at the same time i think my playing's gotten worse.

13. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Alternate Picking is the best in the long run, but it in the short run it can feel like starting over. Just find some good exercises and give it 30 minutes a day, in a couple of weeks it will start to gel, in a couple of months it will be natural.

The reason AP is better is that you can keep a much steadier and solid rhythm, because you can use your elbow as your movement joint instead of your wrist.

14. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    and slowly add the ring finger.. sewcret is to get them all the attack the strings consistantly so there is no change between which finger strikes the string

15. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Id say thats a good one. It took me a long time to learn how to play that properly. One i tried AP it just all started clicking. Slowly but surely im trying to pepper in AP into my technique more and more, although at times i do prefer to just rake.

16. +1! I've been using my ring finger for a long time now. Not all the time, but enough that it bails me out on some faster, tougher parts.

17. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I don't use the floating thumb.

I can't get on with that at all.

I use the hybrid - thumb anchors where it's needed. Floating just feels completely wrong to me.

Currently i've been practising a lot more than 30 mins. Going through various scale/interval exercises can take hours. I've also been trying to practise slap as well, though I'm starting to wonder why.

18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    In one position
    root, 5th, root
    root, octave, root
    root, 7th, root
    root, 9th, root
    root, 10th, root
    root, 11th, root

Do a scale in 3rd across all the strings

and just watch your fingers, make sure they alternate

then try and arpeggio across all the string, up and down make sure your finger alternate. Do it real slow.

Once you are confortable with all that, you can start to speed things up.

19. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I naturally used raking from the first day I started playing and now I regret not learning to properly use alternte picking, it really slows you down when skipping strings.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hi there!

Ya, alternating is something I'm quite passionate about because I saw what a difference it made once I got it down. If you're playing easy stuff, raking is OK I guess, but get that tempo up and play a riff that goes across strings quickly and you'll be very happy you worked on strict alternating. I don't know of one person who worked on it and wasn't happy with the results. And if by chance someone says that they tried it and didn't like it, I'll bet money that they didn't spend anywhere close to the amount of time it takes to get it down. Of course that varies with people and their work ethics, but it took me about a week to start seeing results with a moderately good work ethic.