Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String skipping workout!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Chris Tarry, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon Basses, D'Addario, Markbass, GruvGear
    I get a lot of students asking me about string skipping and how to get better at it.

Well, I was on a gig a couple of weeks ago with the great NY guitarist Ben Monder and I heard him warming up with this amazing intervalic stuff. I asked him what it was and he told me about the Schradieck book "The School of Violin - Techniques" Book 3 (written in 1899).

I ran out and found it and WOW, some of the best string skipping excercises I have ever seen! It is essentially a violin bowing technique book so the leaps and intervalic stuff are meant to be very wide and incorperate all the strings. They work great on the bass....(beware it's all in treble clef)

I have posted a version of one of the excercises for you to check out. This is done on my 5 string and it uses some very complicated intervalic jumps across the WHOLE neck. This is from page 18 ex. #2. Hope you enjoy and pick up the book!

Check it out at: http://www.christarry.com/ctcclive.html

All the best,
    Chris Tarry