1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string snapping aaarrgh

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Niff, May 30, 2007.

1. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    i seem to have a nasty habit of string snapping. i do have a very aggressive style with a (2mm) pick but i shouldn't be snapping them this frequently! i've snapped 2 Ds and 1 G in less than 2 months. i can't buy new DRs at this rate.. i have a weird frankenstein set on there right now! is the hardware on my Ibanez GSR200FM (beginner bass, yes i know) hindering the string's life at all? should i increase or decrease the amount of winds i do on the tuners? i do it around 3 times now.

any advice apart from switching to cheaper strings?

2. I have the same bass and have never snapped a string (i thought it was a terrible myth!)......umm, using less windings on the pegs and a thinner pick will definatly help you out dude.....thats all I got

3. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    2mm is my preference cause of the tone and control, but i guess it does have a factor on it. i'll try winding around twice (or one and a half) times next time i change strings and see how it goes.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    3 times is fine. And so are 2 mm picks. My guess is that your bridge probably has burrs on the saddles. Take it to a luthier and let him see what he thinks.

5. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Knowing exactly where the string is breaking will tell a lot about whats going on. You could just back off on you picking technique a bit.I have never heard of anybody breaking bass strings with a pick.

6. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    the string breaks/unravels slightly behind or directly on the saddle every single time. i live in a small town so i can't take it to a luthier conveniently, so is there anything i should look for? are burrs like little bumps or uneven bits of metal?

it's not just aggressive picking but i play aggressive fingerstyle as well, i like the tone when i have the treble boosted a bit. i'll try cut down a wee bit, but i'd rather not sacrifice the tone i get.

7. with the strings off...can you see and/or feel burrs on the saddles?

yes, burrs are sharp little bits of metal that stand up on either side of a scratch or groove...

the groove isn't a problem, but burrs can cut your strings...

if you have them, you can try taking a bit of automotive grade sandpaper and taking the edge off...take the offending saddles off, one at a time, and sand them, put it back, and go to the next...

remember the number of turns on your intonation screw...that way you don't have to redo intonation.

8. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    hmm interesting. i'll check this out next time i snap a string (likely the D or G). thanks for the help.

9. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    +1, check the saddles for sharp edges... would be my first guess.

10. Question:

Why would the amount of string windings on your tuning pegs affect how often you snap strings?

11. SIMPLE...

by altering the amount of sub-atomic cross-polarisation that is exerted in a tangential direction to the break angle over the nut, less the number of turns used to make the little girl dizzy before she hit the piniata.

12. genius!

clean up them saddles.:cool:

13. it doesn't.:cool:

14. yeah...that might actually work better ;)

15. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    LMAO!

16. ...that's my point.

17. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Or it still might just be that you play very hard. I used to break strings all the time. Playing 8 shows a week I'd break a string every 1 to 2 weeks.

I've lightened up for the health of my hands/arms, and because I found more dynamic range. Lighter strings actually seemed to cue my hands to lighten up.

Good luck either way.

18. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Brilliant!!! now where is the cheese?

19. 4stringdude

4stringdude

May 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I second all of the suggestions that you have a burr or sharp edge on your bridge saddles. I would suggest that you use a strip of leather and run it across the groove of the bridge saddle repeatedly until smooth. Using sand paper could make the issue worse by causing more sharp edges. The leather strip will only smooth the offending burr.

================================

I really have nothing clever to say at this time.

20. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    A friend of mine had a issue about a year ago with some DR strings during installation. It appears that when they were manufactured the machine nicked the inner wire where it goes around the brass ring. When he put the new strings on and was bringing it up to tension he pulled on the string to stretch it a little then brought it back up to tune and the string would break. This happened to the "D" in two seperate packs. He took it back to Guitar Center and they didn't believe him. So their tech put a set on and it did the same thing after playing a little slap for a few minutes. There were no rough spots on his bridge at all, it was just some defective strings made it out the door at DR. DR. ended up sending him a couple packs of strings for the inconvience.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021