Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String soaking

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassampegman, Aug 27, 2004.

1. I know this has been done to death but this is worth noting.
    I tried for the first time soaking my bass strings in IPA ( isopropyl Alcohol ) we can get it in the UK from RS components.

First attempt ernie ball strings very dull went in for about two hour soak, tried them later and no real improvement.

Last night put about 6 sets in for soak including an old set of Daddario nickel strings ( all my strings are nickel wound )

put them on my bass this morning and they zing like new, so i guess its the overnight soak thats required or is it some strings are dead for good ??

Most of my strings last 2 months tops on the bass so the wear and tear is minimal only dirty i guess.

Any other tips ( forget boiling this is far easier )

Mart

2. It's soaking overnight that does the trick. If the strings still sound dead after that, they're gone for good. You can boil them but the zing won't last long after that (if at all).

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My guess is that it's the Ernie Ball's fault. Maybe you waited too long until you cleaned them and they're dead for good.

4. Well i guess they are about 12 months old, but have been stored in original packaging, the time in the IPA must have something to do with it. Strangely the IPA when finished was still clear no signs of dirt etc. Maybe its the grease and skin oils that take the zing out of strings and this is diluted by the IPA during the soak period.

Does soaking have any negative results ( string breaks etc )

Of course i guess the putting on taking off the bass must stress the strings, but apart from dirty these strings are so new ( 2 months use ) im sure they must have loads of life left.

I also tried cleaning the Elixir coated strings not tried them back on bass yet, no signs of coating coming off.

Mart