1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String spacing adjustment on Fodera Monarch

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phephron, Mar 18, 2017.

1. phephron

phephron Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Florida
    Recently aquired a Fodera Monarch. String spacing is supposed to be 19 mm, the strings are about 18 mm. I wrote Fodera but then figured someone here probably knows how to adjust a Fodera bridge. Does one adjust the string spacing with strings tuned, or loose?

Also, the E and G strings are not centered between the pick up poles (because the string spacing is narrow). How much does that affect the sound? The bass is very comfortable to play so if the spacing isn't critical, I might just leave it alone.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You can leave it tuned to pitch. Loosen the grub screw, re-position as desired, and re-tighten. Common problem: the saddle may develop a "memory" spot where the grub screw has been in contact. You may want to overshoot your target by a smidgen as the saddle will be drawn to the right as your tighten the set screw.

Riis

phephron likes this.
  3. phephron

May 5, 2004
    Florida
    Is the grub screw the small silver one needing a tiny allen wrench on the top of the saddle?

And it looks like string is on a moveable round metal bar. Do I just move the bar? Use a screwdriver or something to slide the metal bar where it needs to go?

4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Pics ?

5. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Probably...I don't have a good pic. The locking set screw probably sits alone just behind the round metal bar / saddle. The two screws on the leading edge are probably for height adjustment. You don't need a screwdriver. Once you've successfully loosened the appropriate locking screw, the string & saddle should yield laterally with firm fingertip pressure.

Sometimes those saddles are stubborn. If so, we'll go to plan B.

Riis

phephron likes this.
  6. phephron

May 5, 2004
    Florida
    IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0044.PNG

The top 2 pics are the current state. The bottom pic is the 'newborn' photo from Fodera.

It almost seems like bridge is not square to the bass.

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    You can adjust those saddles. There's a locking screw holding the saddle tight which you can loosen then adjust to your needs.

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep, that big mambo silver set screw locks the saddle into place. Looks like you're back in business.

Riis

phephron likes this.
  9. phephron

May 5, 2004
    Florida
    Perfect! Spacing is perfect and the strings are back directly in the middle of the pickup poles. Thanks for your help guys, especially Riis.

As an aside, when I loosened the set screws, the saddles popped into almost perfect position. I guess previous owner liked a narrower string spacing. Not knowing enough about all the dynamics, I figure manufacturer specs are good enough for me.

4StringTheorist and Zooberwerx like this.