Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STRING SPACING CENTER TO CENTER

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gruuv247, Nov 18, 2002.

1. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    My modulus Q5 has a 17mm string spacing center to center. Does this mean every string measured "DEAD" center or is it possible that the strings are slightly offset from center?:confused:

2. Are you serious or yankin' our chains ?

Here's a novel idea for getting the measurements on your bass, measure it !!!
    There's a nifty little gadget on the market you can use for that, it's called a ruler.

Djeez, it's not that difficult, is it ? :rolleyes:

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Anything is possible, but Modulus is telling you that the strings are spaced center to center. So, because of the width of the strings, the B and E are actually slightly closer together edge to edge than are the D and G.

Does this matter? Not unless you are Commander Data, but some builders do offset the centers of the bridge saddles to compensate for this.

Modulus does not.

Chas

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I can feel the difference.
    Measuring them edge to edge definitely feels better.

5. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    I agree measureing edge to edge does feel more consistant. But since the nut is not cut that way does it cause a problem?