1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String spacing for this headpiece [need help]

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by takfar, Mar 15, 2009.

1. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    So, I'm planning on having a custom bass made. I'm not building it myself, as I don't have the slightest clue on how to do it, neither do I have tools or materials to do it. I just want to post a question that should be very simple for you guys to answer, and this seems to be the appropriate place (please do move the post around if it's not).

Anyway. I want to have a 5-stringer, with the body shape of a Stingray 5, preferably single piece body/neck, 35 inch scale, and two soapbar pups (which I already have).

Now, the question lies here:
    I saw this bass (Cort GB25) and I really liked the headpiece design.
    http://www.danbypianotuning.com/basspics/index.htm

Do you think it would be possible to build a bass with this headpiece configuration (5 tuners on the bass side), with a 17mm (.669 inch) hipshot type A bridge and 3/8" hipshot tuners?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be impossible, but I'd like to have a positive answer before I order the bridge and tuners. I haven't contacted the luthier yet, btw; I'd like to know a general consensus opinion before hearing his assessment ;). By the way, how come this type of headstock is not seen more often (at least I don't see it often, myself)? Are there inherent disadvantages to this design, or is it just a matter of tradition?

Also, do you guys think I'd need a string retainer, as seen on the Cort in the pictures? Probably would, right?