string spacing like a MMSR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Feb 1, 2006.

1. O.K. I have come to the final concusion for me that is: the most comfortable scale is 34''. 5 strings are the perfect amount with the same spacing as my Music Man Stinger. I have bought and tried many others that were more money and less money but I always feel at home on my ray. I want to know what other basses out there have the same scale and spacing as my ray that are available in a 5 string lefty model that would offer a wider tone range than my ray. Take my G&L 2500 I just got it. Love the tone and looks but I can't dig the wide spacing at the bridge and nut. Anyone have some good info on what next to get? I just don't need another expensive mistake.
  2. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Man, I'm puzzled. I thought that L-2500s were 1.75" at the nut and had 17 mm string spacing at the bridge, just like, or exactly like a Stingray 5.

I have been thru maybe 10 lefty 5-stringers in the past 7 years, and yes, my man, SR5s are pretty darn comfortable and I think you won't be able to find anything like them in terms of playability in a 5-string, lefty.

My all-time favorite is a Ken Smith BSR - 1.75" at the nut and 18 mm spacing at the bridge, which to me is simply the perfect neck - StingRays always felt a bit too cramped for me.

So, take it easy and enjoy your SR5. If you need to get another bass maybe you can wait for Musicman Bongos and double-pickup StingRay 5s to be available in lefty, which should be in the next few months.

A last option could be to assemble a bass from Warmoth part, which can have a 1.75" neck and 17 mm at the bridge, or you can order one from - but the necks, I believe, are not as slim and as comfortable as a StingRay 5.
  3. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    actually bass central has 2 lefty bongos... a 4 and a 5... i would have snagged the 5er but i didnt see it untill after i ordered my SR5 :rollno:
  4. I thought the G&L would be the same too but it is a big difference. Enough that it is not comfortable for me and it sits waiting for someone to realy ride her.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Another vote for Bongo.

I'm sensitive to spacing too, and have no problem going back and forth between my SR5 and Bongo 5H.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The two pickup stingrays offer a wider range of tone :D

Pedulla and Zon both make 5s with 17mm string spacing, though both have wider nuts than the ray. Modulus quantums have the tight string spacing, but 35" scale.