Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string spacing on 6ers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Apr 19, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I played a 6 string bass at gc a few days ago(I only own a 4 string)
    and even though teh spacing on the 6er wasn't so bad that i messed me up, I kinda wanted more room. So are there any 6 stringers that have the same(or almost) the same spacing as a 4 string?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yamaha TRBs are 19mm @ the bridge I believe.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There are a good number of 6-strings that have 19mm (3/4" spacing)...as opposed to others that roughly have an 18mm spacing at the bridge.

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    There are several 6ers that have really tight string spacing, like 16.5 mm and 17 mm (several Ibanez models come to mind) but as Jay and Mark said, there are many with 19mm as well, most of the Yamahas have it, Brice has 19mm, among others. Do a search on 6 string basses here and you'll get a lot more info on specific brands.

As a point of reference, my fretted 6 is 19mm, my fretless 6 is 18mm ..... while there is a difference, it's not hard to make that adjustment. The additional adjustment to lower than 18mm was not comfortable to me .....

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I also like 19mm or even 20mm. spacing.
    Roscoe
    FBB
    Stambaugh
    Warwick
    Digwall
    Just to name a few.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    On a 6, >19mm is too big a reach IMO for comfortable playing.
    I can easily slap and pop on my bass that has 16,5-17mm spacing. You just have take the time to get used to it.

Oh and Mojo-man, it is just the Streamer LX and Thumb BO Broadneck versions and the Streamer Stage I that have 20 mm spacing, the others have 16.5, that is adjustable to a bit over 17-17,5

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Thanks, Frank
    I only played tha Stage 1.

8. It doesn't take long to adjust to a closer string spacing. My main bass is a wide-spaced Yamaha TRB-6, and when my Conklin 8 was complete (14mm), it took me about a month to be able to switch between the two. I can now use them both on a gig without problems.

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Sometimes it depends too on the type of music you're playing. Like if you do a lot of slapping you might wanna go for wider spacing. If you do a lotta chord type stuff you might go with a closer spacing. My Warwicks have 20mm spacing and not only does it feel more natural, it just looks so damn sexy!!! :D

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Dingwall's have 18mm spacing on 5's and 6's, only 19mm on the 4's, just FYI.

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    When I went to visit U S Masters they told me they were working on a six model (ep 6), My bass player buddy and I asked them why they were cramming 6 stings into a 5 string neck (5'8). We were like "Noooooo, noooo please dont do that!!!!" They are custom builders and IMO all custom builders should offer the option of different string spacing. I think they listened cuz now they're reworking some things. great guys :D

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've pretty much always played 6's. Untill I got my current main bass, Streamer LX6 with the broadneck, I always said that it was just a matter of being used to the tighter spacing. Now that I am using the 20mm spacing, there is no way I will ever go back. So much easier to do everything. On the plus side, I always get comments about the size of my fretboard. ;)