Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string spacing preferences

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist31588, Feb 21, 2003.

1. I suppose this goes in the setup forum.;)

But I was just curious how many of you get bugged by the string spacing changes b/w basses with more or less strings. It's never really bothered me except for my slapping. Not a big deal, but I prefer less string spacing for fingerstyle (and it makes a difference in speed) and more for slap. The differences have really never 'bugged' me and I just don't understand why many complain about it.

Just a lil' rant:)

2. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I play a Warwick (thumb bolt-on 5 string) which allows me to change my string spacing. I have the higher strings set slightly closer together than usual and the low B and E set further apart. I experimented with string spacing that suited my playing (some slap/pop but not a lot). I'm pretty happy with the way I've got it.

Some bass manufacturers (e.g. Modulus) make wide-neck basses for 5- and 6-string basses that are supposed to keep the usual 4-string spacings.

3. I play Lakland 5 string basses that have the wider 3/4" spacing that is common on a 4 string. I find it to be much more comfortable, especially for slapping. I went through a couple 5 strings that had the narrower spacing and was never able to make that 'love connection'.;) I didn't realize it was the string spacing that was the issue until I got the Laklands. Now I'm happy.:)

4. Yeah, I'm finding that slap bass is harder on my 5 string schecter but the bass has tone that is better suited for fingerstyle. I'm using my Fender Jazz for slap bass although slapping on a low B or high C is a little more rewarding for the extra work (yeah, I'm PMSing lately because I've been finding the need for a low B allthough I've been stringing my fiver with a high C lately and use upper registers in jazz a lot so I keep stringing back and forth. I need a six string or just need to add another 5:D )

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't like spacings < 19 mm.
    19-20 mm is my preference.

6. I like it a bit wider (I play fingerstyle). In fact, on my brand new bass I'm getting this week, one of the first things I'll do to it is replace the bridge and nut so that I can adjust it. So yeah, it bugs me.

Can anyone suggest a good bridge with saddles that feature adjustable string spacing? I've got a Wilkinson on my Zon, but I'm not sure you can get that bridge still. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thrash Gordon

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Schaller Roller Bridge is a good bridge with adjustable string spacing.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I play 99 percent fingerstyle, and after a few years of using only fivers, I am actually more comfortable with the 17 mm spacing.

I can play slap on it just fine.

Chas

9. yeah I can slap fine on tighter string spacing though I feel more comfortable slapping on a Fender 4 string. But some slap just needs a 5 string to it, and a high C is sweet for slap (so is Low B):)