string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, May 1, 2004.

1. Do i have to buy a whole new bridge just to adjust my string spacing ex: making my strings closer together?
  2. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
  3. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Yeah, it depends on the bridge that you're currently using. If it allows for lateral adjustment, then you can adjust string spacing (e.g. hipshot style A). If not, then I don't think it's possible.
  4. If you're talking a significant change, you're most likely screwed. If you want a really big change, you're probably going to have to get a new bass.
  5. thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Yes, if you're into a narrower set-up, you need either: A new bridge (unless you can get what you want out of your lateral adjust), or maybe a different bass which accomodates a narrower string 'profile'.
    I'm looking into a Schecter (Stiletto) Elite-4, and losing my '99 US Jazz for essentially this reason. Not that I'm mad at my Jazz, just can't afford both :bawl: (I can pick up another Fender after I get myself 'flush' again). I LIKE my Jazz, but I'm having a string-spacing issue! I'll end up sticking some Ric or Alembic pickups into it. Besides, the Schecter is very comfortable. Smaller body, good balance- better than the Jazz. I'm sorry...