Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string spacing...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by doublemuff216, Feb 2, 2005.

1. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    I am working on a frankenbass(jazz style), and i must say that it is coming along better than i had expected. I have a question though...how would i go about spacing the strings at the nut? Is there a specific method i should use?
    ALSO! im making a custom pickguard...any opinions...the bass will either be vintage cream or daphne blue. (matching headstock for the blue)
    -bob

2. For spacing, semi-sorta copy a bass that you really like. For the pickguard, I like (figured)wood as a material- not an original idea, mind you, but it looks good when done right, IMO. Oh wait- it's going to be painted- maybe wood, matching the fretboard or back of the neck.

3. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    wood is an option...i might not paint it i kinda like the wood...it's a beautiful ash...
    as for the spacing...i'll probably just mimic my jazz bass...the nut width is the same. Thanks a bunch

4. Ash can look very nice w/a clearcoat or oil on it. Check out some natural-finish Fender or Fender-style basses.