1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string spacing...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by doublemuff216, Feb 2, 2005.

1. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    I am working on a frankenbass(jazz style), and i must say that it is coming along better than i had expected. I have a question though...how would i go about spacing the strings at the nut? Is there a specific method i should use?
    ALSO! im making a custom pickguard...any opinions...the bass will either be vintage cream or daphne blue. (matching headstock for the blue)
    -bob

2. For spacing, semi-sorta copy a bass that you really like. For the pickguard, I like (figured)wood as a material- not an original idea, mind you, but it looks good when done right, IMO. Oh wait- it's going to be painted- maybe wood, matching the fretboard or back of the neck.

3. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    wood is an option...i might not paint it i kinda like the wood...it's a beautiful ash...
    as for the spacing...i'll probably just mimic my jazz bass...the nut width is the same. Thanks a bunch

4. Ash can look very nice w/a clearcoat or oil on it. Check out some natural-finish Fender or Fender-style basses.