Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RE:PEAT, Sep 15, 2005.

1. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looking for some insight on 5+ string spacing. I'm considering a Thumb NT in either a 4 or 5 string. I have 19mm spacing on my 4-strings but felt very comfortable on the 16.5mm spacing of the Thumb NT5. I've always had fours, never really dealt with spacing issues since most were about the same. My question for those of you that have experience with both is this: Is it reasonable to go back & forth between two or more basses with different string spacing? For those that currently own several basses, do you maintain the same spacing on each? TIA.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I go back and forth between the 17mm spacing on my Modulus Q6 and the 19mm spacing on my F Bass BN6. I don't have any trouble switching between the two, now that I am used to the wider spaced F Bass. Before that, my basses all had the same narrower spacing (Modulus Q5, Peavey Cirrus 5, Warwick Streamer LX5), so the F took some getting used to.

Now, I think I might actually prefer the wider spacing (makes slapping much easier).

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Got 3 fivers with 17mm spacing, which I like a lot. My necks are fairly tight too (1.7" nut, 2.7" heel). I play a 4 sometimes too, and it takes a few tunes to get used to it, but it comes right back just like riding a bike.

Well, almost... :p

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I initially found it very difficult to adapt to a close spacing after 19mm. Now that I'm used to it I don't have any problem going back and forth. I prefer 19mm tho.

5. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I had never really thought about string spacing because I had always played Stingrays.
    I decided to try a Stambaugh with 16+mm spacing (uniquw to the instrument) and it felt really good. Mind you, I play fingerstyle all of the time.
    I was so impressed with the Stammie that I decided to try other builders. Along the way I have discovered that 16mm is a little too tight. So I've decided to let go of the Stammie, but I haven't put it up yet.

It was fairly easy to switch back and forth, but why put up with the difference if you can change it.

-ET

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    It's a matter of taste. I personally like 19mm and 34" scale in both 4- and 5-strings, like, eh, Sadowskys...