1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string spacing??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THC, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Does anyone know, what is the string spacing at the bridge on a 5 string MIM jazz? Is it the same spacing as the 4 strings?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    No. It is slightly tighter than the four string. I think the total spacing from B to G is about 3".

Chas

3. Is the individual string spacing like 3/4" or 19 mm.?
    Or is it tighter than that?
    I'm thinking of thinking about one, but I don't even want to go near a music store before I know this. That's all she needs to hear.. Well I found this bass see, and.......:rolleyes:

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think it's either 17.5 or 18 mm, but since I haven't seen a spec sheet anywhere recently, and I haven't got an actual bass on which I can measure it, I can't be too sure.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    3" divided by 4 (five strings=four spaces) would be 3/4". I am almost positive that is correct.

I have a MIA JD5. I think they are the same.

Chas

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    But would it be tighter than a four then?

(HELP!)

7. All of Fender's 5-string basses, with the exception of the Roscoe Beck RB-5 and the Squier P-Special 5, have narrower string spacing at the bridge than the 4-strings. The standard Fender 4-string bridge spacing is .75", except for the Bronco which is narrower.

I ran into this problem with my AmStd J-V. I checked all of the other Fender 5-strings and found them as I stated above.

It's not a major problem though, because if you want to change any of the narrow spaced Fender 5's to the .75" spacing, Hipshot makes a drop-in bridge for them with .75" spacing.

I currently own an RB-5 and find it to be one fantastic bass. It's definitely Fender's best 5-string. Check one out, you might be surprised. They're worth the money.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Yes. Slightly tighter than a Fender 4.