Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alright, I know very little, except what I can stand and what I cant, so help me out.

I like wider string spacing on a 5. I like the BTB spacing, but I HATE the Rick or Fender spacing. Too close.

So, what is the spacing on the strings of say a BTB 5 and what basses generally have wide spacing? Thx :)

2. yamaha john patitucci sig. pretty enormous spacing and i'm pretty sure that it's also available on other yamahas.

my tobias fretless has really nice string spacing and nice taper to the neck. but i'm not sure if the newer tobias still have the same spacing.

not being too sure about the price range that you're interested in i can't give a better suggestion that would better fit you but if price is no problem then hand made stuff is always nice and that way you can get whatever string spacing you wish.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BTB 5 is around 3/4" IIRC, and that is on the wide side. You won't find many inexpensive basses with spacing that wide. A couple that do are the MTD Kingston 5 and the Yamaha RBX765.

4. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    What, under 500 has spacing that wide? 5 stringers.

5. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Embellisher's right on the money, as usual. The BTB series and the Kingston have .75" string spacing - that translates to 3" string spacing for the entire bridge.

6. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I cant stand anything close. even the BTB cuts it a bit too close at the higher frets for me, but if thats as good as it gets, guess I ahve to get a BTB

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You owe it to yourself to check out the MTD Kingston before you spend your money. IMHO it blows the BTB away.

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Especially true since I installed a Bada** V. Greater note clarity and sustain, just like they said!

9. here is a 5-string with 3/4" spacing...

kramer Baretta 522S/P Bass

sure its KOREAN, but have a look at the SPECS on this "toy"...

[​IMG]

Description:

Neck-Thru, Solid Wood Construction • 5-Way 'From Funk to Fat' Rotary Pickup Selector • Designed in the USA Dual-Rail Bass Pickups

Technical Specifications: Neck: 3-pc Canadian Hard Maple
    Neck Profile: Elliptical, Slim-Taper
    Construction: Neck-Thru
    Body Wings: North American Alder
    Neck Pickup: Dual-Rail Bass Humbucker (N2S)
    Bridge Pickup: Dual-Rail Bass Humbucker (B2S)
    Controls: Neck Volume
    BridgeVolume
    MasterTone
    5-WayRotary
    From "FUNK" to "FAT"
    1 - Both pickups, single-coil mode
    2 - Bridge pickup in parallel and neck pickup single-coil mode
    3 - Bridge pickup in parallel and neck pickup in series mode
    4 - Bridge pickup in series and neck pickup parallel
    5 - Bridge pickup series and neck pickup series

Bridge: Kramer 5750 Adjustable Bridge
    String Spacing: 3/4" (0.750") Center to Center
    Machine Heads: Gotoh GB7 Die-Cast (20:1 ratio)
    Nut: Brass
    Nut Width: 1.750"
    Frets: 24 Jumbo Nickel/Steel
    Headstock: 14 degree pitch
    Reverse, Pointy
    Fingerboard: 24 fret, Indian Rosewood
    F/B Radius: 16"
    Scale Length: 34"
    F/B Inlay: Pearl Dots
    Finishes: Black, Metallic Blue, Red, White, Metallic Purple, Cracked Green, Cracked Yellow

$209.95 ???!!?!!

10. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Not bad. I just need to hear the low B. My friend owns a Kramer 4 and ick, its not ehs ound Im looking for. But nice price :D