1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Spacing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PBass101, Oct 12, 2009.

1. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Quick question - when you measure string spacing, do you measure from the center of each string to the center of the next string, or do you measure from the outisde of each string to the outside of the next string?

2. Jumamoro

Jumamoro

Apr 8, 2007
    Miami FL
    center to center

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It depends. If you're talking about spacing at the bridge, then you measure at the middle of the string.

If you're carving a nut, measuring from the middle of each string could cause problems - it would mean that the spacing on the thicker strings would be less than on the thinner strings (which is also an issue at the bridge, but it's not much of an issue because it's so much wider down there). When carving a nut, I find it's best to compensate for string gauges, and split the difference between measuring between the center of the string and the edge.

StewMac's nut spacing rule helps.

4. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Awesome, thanks. I was mostly thinking about bridge spacing. The thicker strings looked closer together on my Precision than the thinner strings and I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or what.

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I use a hybrid spacing at my bridge (a split between equal spacing and c2c) - but only when using individual string assemblies. A .180 or .190 encroaches too much.