Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampegloud, Oct 20, 2002.

1. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    i have a ibanez sr 405 the string spacing at the pickups seems a little narrow,should i have gotton a bass with 19 mm standard spacing or will i just get used to it,? will it hmper my playing or is this normal ?

2. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Are you new?If this is your first Bass, then you will get use to it. How do you play (fingers, pick, slap)?
    Are you a hard hitter or do you barely move your fingers when you play.

3. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Your Profile says you have experience. You will more than likely get use to it. I would focus more on the sound. How does it compare to your Warwick?

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

You can get used to anything. I'd play a couple basses with a different spacing. Maybe borrow a buddies for a few days to see what you like better. I prefer a Fender type spacing but everyone has their own taste

Rob

5. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I have a carvin six string with pretty tight string spacing. I don't think any measurement of spacing is "better", it's just what feels most comfortable to your hands. People with huge hands usually hate playing my bass but I have small hands so the spacing seems really natural for me. You'll get used to it.