Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String spacing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Can anyone tell me what some average string spacing measurements might be? Jazz spacing? Precision spacing? Etc....? I know this would vary dramatically but thought maybe there was some general number thought as a "standard" or something.

2. The string spacing measured where ? It gets narrower towards the nut, that's probably why manufacturers list the neck width at the nut and the 12th fret, instead of string spacing.
    Warwick and Ken Smith have the string spacing at the bridge in their specs.
    Both have 19 mm for the four-string, Warwick has 16.5 and Ken Smith has 18 mm for the five-string.
    Hope this helps ...

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Most think of standard spacing as the four-string fender spec. 3/4" at the bridge or approx. 19mm.

4. Perfect! Thanks..I was looking for spacing at the bridge. I have been trying to spread out the way-too-tight spacing on my Warwick Thumb5. I have a Dolphin5 with a very wide neck that I love and the Thumb just seems pencil-like in comparison.