String spacing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know where to put this, but I think it fits here in setup...

I was wondering what is a normal/prefered string spacing. My 5 string bass has a 1.6 cm string spacing at the bridge... Isn't that pretty narrow?

I am looking for replacement pickups, and I have found that the pickups in the bass are the same size as 4 string pickups!!

Is my spacing really tiny? Or is it normal?

FYI- my 4 string bass has a 2 cm string spacing. The pickups for my 4 string are longer than the pickups for my 5!!
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The "standard" spacing for a 4 string is 19 mm or 3/4". Many 5 strings use a narrower spacing. 16 mm is a little narrow for a 5, but not unusual.

As for pickup sizes, I have a 6 string Carvin that uses pickups that are the same dimensions as the bridge pickup from a 4 string Fender Jazz Bass (3-3/4" or approx. 95 mm long). There aren't many pickups that will do justice to a 6 in that size!
  3. what I have seen most is a 17mm string spacing for 5 strings, 2 of my pedullas came that way. The other has the "traditional 19mm (3/4 ") spacing.

Maybe what you have is 17?