1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String spacing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know where to put this, but I think it fits here in setup...

I was wondering what is a normal/prefered string spacing. My 5 string bass has a 1.6 cm string spacing at the bridge... Isn't that pretty narrow?

I am looking for replacement pickups, and I have found that the pickups in the bass are the same size as 4 string pickups!!

Is my spacing really tiny? Or is it normal?

FYI- my 4 string bass has a 2 cm string spacing. The pickups for my 4 string are longer than the pickups for my 5!!

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The "standard" spacing for a 4 string is 19 mm or 3/4". Many 5 strings use a narrower spacing. 16 mm is a little narrow for a 5, but not unusual.

As for pickup sizes, I have a 6 string Carvin that uses pickups that are the same dimensions as the bridge pickup from a 4 string Fender Jazz Bass (3-3/4" or approx. 95 mm long). There aren't many pickups that will do justice to a 6 in that size!

3. what I have seen most is a 17mm string spacing for 5 strings, 2 of my pedullas came that way. The other has the "traditional 19mm (3/4 ") spacing.

Maybe what you have is 17?