String Spacings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Aug 13, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hey,
    I know that at least 3 ppl are going to say "search the forums, dumbass" to this question, but I did and go up to page 20 out of 50 with no luck, and I really dont feel like searching 30 more pages.

Can anyone tell me (where to find) the standard string spacings on various basses? Do people ever mix p nut and j bridge? I just want to know the numbers because I know which basses have spacings I like, I just cant find any spacing numbers.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The P and J use the same bridge.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There's a search function, so you don't have to search through every thread. A lot of bass manufacturers have their string spacing listed on their homepage. The P and J spacing is the same at the bridge, though their nuts are different sizes. Most 4's have 19 or 20 mm string spacing at the bridge.

4. MOST 4 strings (fender, ernie ball, yamaha etc) are 19mm and some are a little tighter like some ibanez models.

On 5 string, most are 16.5mm (which I don't prefer) and the others usually 18mm (modulus, roscoe etc...) or my personal "standard" fave 19mm (fbass, sadowsky, lakland, etc...)

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I would actually argue that the "standard" has become 19 mm, as manufactures have realized that most bassists like the same spacing as their four-strings. Hell, when even Ibanez, leader of "Ignoring Customer Desires" designs a line with 19 mm spacing (BTBs) I think that's become the majority.

Down a step is what I'd call "tight" - around the 17.5 mm range (Fender Jazz 5s (?) Spector, Mike Lull, Pedulla's smaller option.) Still wide enough to slap on, but a bit closer to what primarily fingerstylists (like myself, and my own personal choice) seem to like.

Then there's "Ultra-tight", the 16.5 and below range. I seems the market has moved away from this generally, except for Ibanez Soundgears and ERB, as to keep 7+ string fingerboards from becoming something we can place patio furniture on. ;)