String Spacings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Aug 13, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I know that at least 3 ppl are going to say "search the forums, dumbass" to this question, but I did and go up to page 20 out of 50 with no luck, and I really dont feel like searching 30 more pages.

Can anyone tell me (where to find) the standard string spacings on various basses? Do people ever mix p nut and j bridge? I just want to know the numbers because I know which basses have spacings I like, I just cant find any spacing numbers.
  2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The P and J use the same bridge.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There's a search function, so you don't have to search through every thread. A lot of bass manufacturers have their string spacing listed on their homepage. The P and J spacing is the same at the bridge, though their nuts are different sizes. Most 4's have 19 or 20 mm string spacing at the bridge.
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    MOST 4 strings (fender, Ernie Ball, yamaha etc) are 19mm and some are a little tighter like some ibanez models.

On 5 string, most are 16.5mm (which I don't prefer) and the others usually 18mm (modulus, roscoe etc...) or my personal "standard" fave 19mm (fbass, sadowsky, lakland, etc...)
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I would actually argue that the "standard" has become 19 mm, as manufactures have realized that most bassists like the same spacing as their four-strings. Hell, when even Ibanez, leader of "Ignoring Customer Desires" designs a line with 19 mm spacing (BTBs) I think that's become the majority.

Down a step is what I'd call "tight" - around the 17.5 mm range (Fender Jazz 5s (?) Spector, Mike Lull, Pedulla's smaller option.) Still wide enough to slap on, but a bit closer to what primarily fingerstylists (like myself, and my own personal choice) seem to like.

Then there's "Ultra-tight", the 16.5 and below range. I seems the market has moved away from this generally, except for Ibanez Soundgears and ERB, as to keep 7+ string fingerboards from becoming something we can place patio furniture on. ;)