1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Spray, OK or Big No No???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Oct 1, 2008.

1. When I'm in the studio, which has been a lot here lately, and at church I have noticed that my strings get really sticky and tear my fingers up after about 3-4 hours of non stop playing in a hot environment. My guitarist uses this string lubricant that he sprays all over his fretboard and even on the back of his neck. He's offered it to me but I always decline for fear that it would eat up and gunk up my fretboard and make my strings go dead prematurely. Is this something I need to worry about or is this stuff ok for fretboards and strings?

2. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    I've used Finger Ease, and had no adverse effects. I used to spray it on the back of my neck and the strings. If anything, I think it prolonged the life of my strings a tiny bit.

Nowadays, I'm too lazy and it's one more thing to keep track of.

3. I used Finger Ease years ago on an acoustic guitar. I've never even heard of it and then some guy in another studio offered it to me so I sprayed the acoustic down and it worked quite well, but I was playing someone else's Taylor and not my own so I didn't care.

4. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    I have used the GHS fastfret a couple of times, worked great : )

5. No corrosion or build up on your fretboard?

6. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    If you go to a website like Music123, you can read reviews from people who have used this stuff.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    capnsandwich.

www.caig.com
    try the deoxit axe wipes. it will have your strings lasting longer, and nicely lubricate them to reduce friction.

8. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I use GHS fast fret on all of my strings on my basses and acoustic g****r. It's great stuff to clean the strings on the g****r because they get dirty really fast being bronze. On my bass I usually use it when the strings are brand new and have that squeaky feel to them, which used to give me crazy blisters, or when the strings are on their last legs and are coming due for a replacement. (I replace my roundwounds every 3-6 months, and have never replaced my flatwounds. The g****r gets new strings every month and is cleaned before each use.) Also of interest may be that I use the fast fret to clean my maple fretboard on my 5'er of the gray marks that strings leave behind. It's not perfect, but it leaves the wood looking great and is less of a pain to clean up then steel wool.

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Plusses on lubes. Helps keep things moving well and protects string from bad stuff like moisture body acidity type stuff. I coat the entire string for complete protection prior to use. Done this for years - no ill effects on multiple basses. :cool:

10. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    I use silicone spray, about once a month. I spray it on a shop rag and wipe down the strings. I buy the cheapest I can find, at an auto parts place. Feels great on the strings, penetrates and lubes, lessens friction, does not attract grime or grit. The URL below (scroll down) includes a brief summary of the uses for various forms of silicone lubricants. It can apparently be used as a conditioner for porous plastic, masonry or wood, but I wipe in on the strings so as not to spray it all over everything else.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infsil.html

11. Silicone spray huh? Is that safe for a fretboard or is that something I would need to put on the strings only? I need something at the studio I can just spray on real quick before I start playing. I don't want to have to take my strings off first.

12. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    I love that slippery feel on neck and strings. It cuts down on roundwound finger-slide noise, so it's great in the studio. I've used Fingerease for like 40 years on expensive basses and guitars, including scrubbing strings with it after every playing with rough chamois. If if was going to do damage, it would have done it by now :D.

Plus I had a set of Rotosounds on one bass that lasted for 38 years of occasional playing with that cleaning regimen, and still had some zing. It seems to clean and protect, and amazingly to be harmless to nitro, poly, rosewood, varnish, frets, strings etc.

13. I used some tonight in the studio. The guitarist was spraying some on his guitar so I asked for some. I just sprayed a little bit and then wiped the body of my guitar down from the over spray. I'm so anal.:scowl: It seemed to work alright but I don't think I used enough. Maybe I'll spray a little more on next time.

14. chardbass

chardbass

Oct 21, 2005
    I have used DR Stringlife for a few years now. I swear by it- improves the zing factor and has that silky feel.
    Someone else may know what it's main ingredient is.

15. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I know it's a tired cliche, but it really does make a difference (sometimes a big difference) if you read the directions for this, or any other product. Then adjust to suit your tastes. I ended up using a little more with the Finger Ease and use different things to wipe down or sometimes not at all. :cool:

16. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Nope:)

17. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I use Elixir strings to get the same effect.I'm not spraying my basses with anything it doesn't need.

18. I used to use Elixirs on my bass too until I found how I loved the tone of stainless steel. After I played my first stainless set I realized that Elixirs were a bit to dull for my tastes. I loved the feel of them though.

19. thedeepend

thedeepend

Aug 6, 2002
    Windsor, ON
    My guitar player uses Finger Ease, and he swears by it. No buildup or gunk, and it makes his strings feel really nice on the fingers. As for me, I'm just too lazy worry about applying it all the time.

20. Fretless Bill

Fretless Bill Supporting member

Sep 10, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Remind me to never loan you one of my basses.