String Stretching effects on you neck?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Spectorphile, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Ok so I’m wondering what the general consensus is regarding the effect of string stretching on your neck? Personally I’ve never noticed any problems arise from the sudden added tension of string stretching, mind you I'm pretty meticulous about my stretching methods and keeping my necks in good condition. Any disasters out there? :p
  2. If you mean pulling on the strings to stretch them, that one is a No-No.

I had a long phone conversation with Bill Lawrence, and stretching was one of the topics. He states that stretching destroys the modulus of elasticity in the string, making it incapable of retaining its tune. Once destroyed, the string continues to stretch (loosen) and falls out of tune.

He was quite emphatic about not doing this..
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I've been stretching my strings in the typical manner (pulling out from the neck, around the 12th fret) on all of my basses since the mid 80's without any problems. They stay in tune just fine. In fact, once stretched I can play weeks (I practice between 1.5 and 3 hours a day) without anything going out of tune. I've never had an action problem or neck problem either.

I could buy that it changes the tone of the strings...but I've tried them unstretched and stretched and can't hear a discernable difference.