String-string volume ratio

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 14, 2001.

1. I find myself tweaking and tweaking the pickup screws to get an even string to string sound. I'm using a p-style pickup, so there's a screw for each string. Just out of curiosity, how do you adjust the realative height on a j-style, soapbar, or musicman pickup?
  2. We do it the same way you do, but obviously since our pups aren't split, we have exactly half the adjustment you do.

If you have to constantly work with your pup height to get even volume across the strings there might be something else wrong. I suspect the pickup itself. If it isn't a quality piece perhaps you should look into replacing it with an aftermarket version that is higher quality.
  3. It's not a problem; I'm just slightly neurotic :)

How do you compensate for the (usually) raised strings in the middle?
  4. To be perfectly honest, I've never noticed differences like your talking about. Intellectually, I understand why they might be there - that makes perfect sense, but, as a practical matter, I think that the differences are so minor that chasing them for elimination might be a bit overzealous.

That said, there are pickups out there like the DiMarzio that have adjustable pole pieces. You use an allen wrench to raise or lower them to get a specific effect.