1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String suggestion, help a rookie!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jbossolo, Jun 12, 2012.

1. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Ok, just defretted and epoxied my lowly Squier Affinity P.
    Total rookie to fretless. Which strings should I try?
    I'm looking for a warm sound, I like blues, jazz and soft rock.
    Since I don't gig, I'd need something that sounds fairly good "out of the box", not something that requires months of "break in" to sound good. Help a rookie out! Did try search, but there's like a million opinions out there.:eek:

Appreciate any help!

2. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Try a set of GHS Pressure Wounds. Warm and darker sounding but not at all muddy like some flats. Easier on your fret board than rounds and no need to play that zing out of them. They're great right "out of the box" as you call it. They'll mellow a little more with use but they don't become dead sounding like a round wound.

Perfect all around string for any type of music. Most of what I play fits in with what you do and they're what I use on my Jazz Bass. I just put a set on a friends sons Affinity PBass when I did a setup for him and he loved them. Made it sound like a completely different instrument. Log onto Bassstringsonline.com spend $20 and try them.

3. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Thx for helping a bro out! I'll give them a try!
    One more question if I may, what "gauge" should I try? Was leaning to "Medium Light".

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Make sure to mention you're a TB member when registering and you'll get a discount (VIP pricing).

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    If you have epoxied your fretboard then I guess the conventional wisdom is that you can use any strings you want. At least some people say that round wounds will give you the most mwaah. If, however, you want something like a flat wound but with more warmth then the GHS Pressure Wound strings are a good suggestion. I've just put a set on my fretted SR505 and they give me a tone somewhere between flat and round that I rather like. They are not smooth but they are smoother than round wounds with relatively little finger noise. They should be kinder to fretboards too which may not be a large concern with an epoxied board but even epoxy and ebonol will wear with enough use. My initial impression is that these could be my long term string of choice. I don't have any names to give you but I believe that some other string brands have similar strings so if you strongly prefer another brand they may make them.

Ken

6. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Thx for all the replies! I'll try the GHS.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Best sounding right out of the box strings Ive played are DR neons. Very articulate, excellent balance of lows thru highs. Has deeper bass then other strigns Ive liked. If you rreally want to orient toward dark right out of the box, the DR sunbeams. they lack they upper treble of the neons.

8. GHS is a great choice for flatwounds...

LaBellas are real nice once you get going, they are a bit harder to find...

oh, by the way check out www.juststrings.com ... you won't be sorry! :)

9. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks for all the kind replies. Just ordered me a set of GHS Pressurewounds.
    I'll report back once I try them.