Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string suggestion

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dougray, Jul 7, 2002.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    need some string suggestion: i have a schecter elite 5 string bass with active emg 40DC's with the 3 band EQ.,i have tryed several sets of "steel" strings,DR highbeams,rotosound swingbass,labella hot rockers,and ernieball slinky's,and now i have a set of DR lowriders on it, here is the prob: i play mainly classic rock(led zep,ac/dc,van halen ,etc.) and the sound i am geting is to trebly,i have the bass all the way up mids turned down,and the treble turned all the way down,and on the pre amp i have the switches set to 7K,with the blend knob set to neck pickup. i thinking i need the dullest,softest,{elixir?nickel?|} string to get the tone i am looking for,and i play using my fingers. any suggestions: thnx in advance. :D

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm a big fan of Elixirs, especially the Nanowebs. But D'Addario XL's might be just what you're looking for. In any case, I'd go nickel and there are several to choose from. I also like the DR Lowrider nickels and Dean Markley Blue Steel Nickels.

3. Hi Dougray,

if you like the bright side of them but lack the depth and punchiness I suggest Dean Markley SR2000 VERY good punch and a bit trebbly. They are not as bright as the hi-beam but have a lot more body, punch and warmth to them.

4. Fingerstyle classic rock is the territory of nickel-plated steel (NPS) strings. If you have used Ernie Ball strings, they must've been stainless steel (SS) to be that harsh. The same gauges are available in NPS and should give you a round tone without any harshness, actually rendering your bass' EQ meaningful again. I use regular NPS Ernie's on my Warwick; you're not clear on what composition you used. Here's what I would try as a first measure: Try switching that EMG preamp treble center freq. to 3.5kHz. Methinks you will lose the harshness right there, regardless of your string choice. I know that EMG recommends this frequency point as a starting opint in determining your own preferences. 7k is only good if you have parametric mids or need to dial in some sheen for a slap sound.

5. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    thanks for responses i will try the "dip" switch setting at 3.5 like stated, ...i'll probably end up going with d'addario xl nickel strings... but if you have any other suggestions..reply... :cool: