1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String suggestions for a Stagg EDB

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ASKief88, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ASKief88

ASKief88

Jul 5, 2011
    My stock strings have found a way to bend, so it's time for a string upgrade! I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for strings I could put on there. I finger alot, but i also want the capability to play with a bow too.

2. Helicore Hybrids
    Zyex
    Superflexibles

These would all be decent choices.

3. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    It depends what type of sound you're going for. Do you want to sound like a traditional upright with guts; or a more modern spirocore sound with lots of growl and sustain. That's the first thing to consider.

On both my EUBs I have different setups. The Eminence I set up to sound like my old kay with guts so I use a combination of guts and velvet animas.

On my Messenger EUB I want to be able to get decent arco sound like my classical bass but still be able to get a decent pizz, and I don't like a ton of sustain on the notes so I use orchestra strings like Jargar, Flexocore because hey have a lot of dampening material. Depends on what sound is in your head.

4. The original Stagg strings are available from Thomann in Germany in case you want to use them again. Only 40 Euros, if I remember correctly. But probably not as good as the other strings mentioned here.

5. jimmyb likes this.
  6. Reeba

Reeba

Apr 25, 2017
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Anyone tried gut on their stagg? Currently still has the factory strings. And they're getting a bit boomy through my rig.

I'm playing in a early era jazz group, when we Busk I use a little street amp that struggles already to be heard through the trumpet and banjo.

I want to keep the volume and loose the sustain a bit. Hardly ever play arco, only for effect on a couple of tunes.
    Thoughts?

7. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I played a Stagg with two banjos on the street and used gripmax strings:

GripMax Strings

example of how they sound:

Reeba likes this.
  8. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I used my old upright strings when I changed them out. They were already well used so it seemed to take away a little of the zing.

Reeba likes this.
  9. Reeba

Reeba

Apr 25, 2017
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Sounds heaps better than the ones I'm using. What are you using for amplification in that vid?

10. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I am using a fishman platinum pro pre-amp (the old one) into a Pignose Hog 30. Both are battery powered.

11. Reeba

Reeba

Apr 25, 2017
    Hobart, Tasmania
    I've got a borrowed roland street cube, as a stop gap. It's really designed for guitar/singer stuff. I can't direct link a vid from facey but the most recent Busk is in the vids on our page.
    The Bootleg Gin Sluggers

My longer term plan is to invest in a deepcycle battery and an inverter and either an okay PA, and go direct input or a good sounding rig. And replace the stagg, once I can afford to...
    In the meantime, string upgrades and probably an eq pedal will help.

12. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    You guys sound great! I love the drummer's crazy kit! I think a pre-amp pedal designed for bass goes a long way to getting a good sound. The pignose I was playing through isn't much to listen to by itself. The fishman is designed for acoustic bass instruments with piezo pickups. They show up here used on TB once a while and aren't too expensive.

bskts247 likes this.
  13. Reeba

Reeba

Apr 25, 2017
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Thanks I liked your dual banjos and the sound your getting.
    Andy calls it the tip shop tingle.

That's good advice. So much gear, so little money!

14. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you. So true, so true.

15. Naplesllew

Naplesllew

Apr 11, 2015
    Naples FL
    I have Spirocore Weichs (E,A,D, w/Obligato G) on my Stagg and am very pleased with the pizz-only playing I do (big-band swing and light jazz combo work). The Fender Rumble 100 seems to match up nicely with the Stagg, handles nearly all the venues I'm likely to play, and, at 77 years old, the extremely light weight is a blessing.

Reeba likes this.