string suggestions for an experimental tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ely, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    My band is wanting to cover several songs that use an open low B and other 5 stringer notes, and so I need to try some new tunings out and I need suggestions for some good strings. I was going to tune it BEAD, but I decided that I need my high notes still, and so I decided to try fifths tuning in CGDA, but that wasn't quite low enough so I decided to tune that down a whole step to BFCG, and that does just perfect, I get a B while keeping my G, as well as everything in between.
    Now I just need some string and guage suggestions. I only have about $40 right now, so keep that in mind. I like a medium tension feel, and the neck on my Ibanez P-Bass copy is rather thin and flimsy looking.
    Oh yeah, I also might want to try Flatwounds, so give suggestions for good flats in my range too.
    Thanks.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Note that the B is only down a half step from the C, so your tuning is: tritone, 5th, 5th

All 5ths would be BbFCG

For BFCG I'd just stick with pretty normal guages, .125 - .100 - .65 - .45. BUT, the nut on your bass probably won't handle the .125, and maybe not the .100 in the third slot. I tried a .115 in my E slot long long ago and it split. :( :)

3. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    hmm... if B is only a half-step down (I'm not really familiar with which notes have a sharp or flat) then maybe I'll do pure 5ths tuning, and drop down a half-step when I need the extra low note. I plan on doing a full setup if I do change the strings, so I'm gonna switch to a brass or aluminum nut probably.

4. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    *bump*
    I still need string brand suggestions. Please include Brand name, Guage, Type, and what they sound like. Price would be nice too...
    *bump*

5. well...DRs are known to be tighter than your average roundwound...same with Rotosound...

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Don't take this as a dig, I'm serious, I would put any and all effort into first learning the basic notes of the scale before worrying about alternate tunings.

FYI, B to C and E to F are semitones, the rest are whole tones. :)