Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string suggestions for an experimental tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ely, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    My band is wanting to cover several songs that use an open low B and other 5 stringer notes, and so I need to try some new tunings out and I need suggestions for some good strings. I was going to tune it BEAD, but I decided that I need my high notes still, and so I decided to try fifths tuning in CGDA, but that wasn't quite low enough so I decided to tune that down a whole step to BFCG, and that does just perfect, I get a B while keeping my G, as well as everything in between.
    Now I just need some string and guage suggestions. I only have about $40 right now, so keep that in mind. I like a medium tension feel, and the neck on my Ibanez P-Bass copy is rather thin and flimsy looking.
    Oh yeah, I also might want to try Flatwounds, so give suggestions for good flats in my range too.
    Thanks.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Note that the B is only down a half step from the C, so your tuning is: tritone, 5th, 5th

All 5ths would be BbFCG

For BFCG I'd just stick with pretty normal guages, .125 - .100 - .65 - .45. BUT, the nut on your bass probably won't handle the .125, and maybe not the .100 in the third slot. I tried a .115 in my E slot long long ago and it split. :( :)

3. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    hmm... if B is only a half-step down (I'm not really familiar with which notes have a sharp or flat) then maybe I'll do pure 5ths tuning, and drop down a half-step when I need the extra low note. I plan on doing a full setup if I do change the strings, so I'm gonna switch to a brass or aluminum nut probably.

4. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    *bump*
    I still need string brand suggestions. Please include Brand name, Guage, Type, and what they sound like. Price would be nice too...
    *bump*

5. well...DRs are known to be tighter than your average roundwound...same with Rotosound...

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Don't take this as a dig, I'm serious, I would put any and all effort into first learning the basic notes of the scale before worrying about alternate tunings.

FYI, B to C and E to F are semitones, the rest are whole tones. :)