Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String suggestions for Fender MM Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KB, Dec 28, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have just recently acquired a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass with a U-retro preamp (owned by a few fellow TBers/pitters in the past) and it currently has the DR Fatbeams on it, however I don't really like the "feel" of the stainless strings. I am looking for some other possible strings that would sound good on a ash/maple jazz. I tried TI Powerbass (the strings I use on all my other basses), but the tone was just too much as they didn't seem to match the bass very well. I also don't like D'addario XLs.
    I am considering TI Jazz rounds, but the low gauge and flexibility (too much) might be an issue, but I have no experience with them. I tend to like the feel of nickel. I play fairly aggressive but like to groove. I carry the melody in my band's mix sometimes so I like a bass sound that is up front in the mix. I want the true jazz growl sound.

Does anyone else have any considerations for some smooth feeling great sounding jazz bass strings that would match a Marcus Miller jazz?

-KB

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    If you like brightness, I'd say go for SIT Rock Brights. They're nickel, as bright as stainless, and I quite like them. @ ~$19 a set they're cheap too... Even cheaper and just a bit less bright are the powerwounds from SIT... same but less bright than the rock brights I think. I'm getting a set of rock brights for my L2500 to replace some really dead powerwounds, but I do like stainless tone, w/o the other issues it carries.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Give lowriders a try. :)

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    are nickel lowriders bright enough for some definition?

-KB

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes I put a set on my MIA dlx jbass and it has all the deinition in the world. I was very suprised by this. the ss strings can be overly bright but these are bell clear and sound great. You must remember the MM bass is all boost and no cut so highs should not be an issue.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    D'Darrio XL's or Slowounds work well on my Fender Jazz's, but YMMV and the best thing to do would be to try a set, if ya dont like um, try another and keep hunting untill you find a set that suits your liking.