1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

String suggestions for NS Design CR4M

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bodollar, Jan 28, 2017.

1. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Have a gig where it's 60% pizz and 40% arco, wanted to see what strings you would use? I've tried the NS Traditional and Contemporary strings.

Thanks

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Got good ol' Spiro Weichs on mine. Work a treat.

3. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    Spirocores, particularly weichs and solos have a life cycle of about ~3 years. They start out quite lively and metallic for pizz, then after a few years they mellow out and are very good for arco, but maybe a little lacking in harmonic content for pizz. Unfortunately you can't seem to get both qualities forever.

If you like the mellowed out sound, you can keep the strings for >10 years. One of my NS basses has strings that are at least 8 years old.

4. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Got the weichs and solos on the list. FWIW, they want to play almost every style of music, almost. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021