1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, Jan 10, 2019.

1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Hello TB. I don’t have ANY experience with different bass strings and the different tones of the different brands. I have been looking at really recommended like rotosound swing bass 66, ghs bass boomers, dr hi beams, Lo riders stuff like that.

I want these to go on my (future) Fender Geddy Lee signature jazz bass. I love the growl it has, and am looking for a warm fat midrange tone with some stinging top end, for some funk, slapping, and good for some rock too.

Just a nice tone that will stick me out in the mix is what I really need. Fat, Rich, punchy, growly, stinging. These are the words I would use to describe the tone I’m after! :roflmao: Trying to achieve a nice 70s tone similar like jerry barnes.

I don’t want any special gauges or any of that mumbo jumbo I just need a good normal 4 string set to make my jazz bass sizzle! Thanks everyone for your input!

2. Panda73

Panda73

Aug 29, 2014
    Mesa , AZ
    Rotosound 66

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  3. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  4. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

All those strings brands you’ve listed are good choices for what you’re looking for except for Rotos. I say Rotos cause you’ll get what you’ve listed out of em but they die out within a week or two..

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  5. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Is there a longer lasting alternative? Do you recommend any specific strings? Thanks.

6. AstralBirth

Look into DR Fatbeams for your “Warm Fat Mids” and/or DR Lo Riders. To me on what you’re searching for tone wise tells me you’ll like DR’s and as for GHS, I have been real hooked on their Balanced Nickels. Feels like a question for @Jon Moody to help answer more with their lineup of GHS Strings in search of your string tone.

eriky4003 and RumbleMan3 like this.
  7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I'm happy to answer any specific questions regarding GHS, but I can't make any specific brand recommendations; that's against the rules for me.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I don't find that the Rotos die as soon as some people say, but Low Riders are very similar in tone and tension. Also a little more smooth to the fingers.

RumbleMan3 and Lance Bunyon like this.
  9. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    I've had good luck with HiBeams.

10. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I'm after the same kind of tone as you and I've been using DR LoRiders for the last couple of years. I like what I'm hearing.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  11. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    If you like Rotosound 66, you might also like GHS Progressives.

AstralBirth likes this.
  12. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Roto Swing Steels or DR Fat Beams / Hi Beams.

I have Hi Beams on my Jazz at present and it just sings. Give them time to settle and that OTT brightness will fade leaving you with a powerful sounding string with plenty of body to it but without the typical SS clank.

13. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    D'ADDARIO Chromes.

saabfender likes this.
  14. For a relatively affordable option at $13.57 a set, you might want to try the GHS Bassics. They're NPS rounds on a hex core like the regular Boomers but slightly brighter than the Boomers because the underwrap wire is SS instead of NPS. Also, they're not quite as stiff as the Boomers due to the smaller core size.

Bassics : Strings By Mail

15. AstralBirth

Love the GHS Bassics!! I’d have to try a set again, I wasn’t very pleased with how they sounded on a particular instrument and didn’t really give it time after their initial break in period. For $13-16 depending where you buy it online it’s not hard on the wallet!

16. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    A lot of people are recommending fat beams and Lo riders. I know nothing about them,but based on the name, the don’t sound as bright as the rotos for example. Are they similar?

So far I’m hearing good things from fat beams, lo riders and the ghs bassics. I will check these out thanks.

17. AstralBirth

Honestly your best bet is to try them all out yourself. Dedicate your time into practicing the new strings for 2 hours to break them in and repeat for about a month or two. Once you feel like you’re ready to try out the other strings repeat the same process. Honestly it’s a journey well worth experiencing and not skipping out on, definitely consider the options people are recommending and give yourself time to try it out. Only you can decide what’s right for your needs.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  18. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    i think im leaning most towards the dr fat beams they sound great and offer what im after. awesome! what strings are similar to these tonally and feel, ghs boomers?

19. The Fat Beams and the Boomers are not even close both in tone and feel.

AstralBirth and RumbleMan3 like this.
  20. I find Dunlop SuperBrights (MM and regular) to have a bit more growl than Fat Beams at least when new. When they break in they tend to sound the same. I use both type of strings (Dunlop/Fat beams) on different basses. Others may fit but since I've found what I was looking for... Be aware of the distinction stainless steel or nickel. IMO SS strings have more growl than nickel, it's not just about being bright.

AstralBirth and eriky4003 like this.