String suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Andrew Noury, Jan 29, 2003.

1. I have been given an old, very low-end bass to fix up for a friend so he can give a young relative a bass to start learning on. It is a bizarre creation with what looks like a Fender P bass-style neck mated to a Gibson SG-style body. The electronics are a single mid/neck mounted pickup with volume and tone pots and some bizarre but fairly solid and usable hardware.

The strangest thing is the scale... it is only 25"!

The sound I am sure will be rather low-fi but I'd like to string it with something that will not only help the bass sound decent but also provide playable tension on the incredibly short scale.

Any suggestions are welcome and if anyone is interested I can post some pictures of this beastie for your enjoyment.

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I am a moron. That being said, how short is a regular short scale bass? I have a short scale and rather old Epi, and I like Rotosound Swing Bass 66's for it. Fairly light gauge, 40-90 if I remember right.

Lets see those pics;)
  3. Regular short scale bass, If you are talking about those short-scale Gibsons, is 30''.

It's gonna be tough to find the right strings for this job. But not impossible in the least.
  4. That's for the info. fellas. It is a strange beast and I don't expect finding strings to be easy.

So far I am thinking about a light, light set of flatwounds but those are rare birds indeed.