String Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basse, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Hi all, I've got a couple of vintage basses that I'd like to restring with something new. I'm a round-wound type of guy and I've found that flats or rounds with the edges "flattened" lose the growl that I like.

I used to like RotoSounds but they really gave the frets some grief. Then I found D'Addario's Slo-Wounds but since they don't make them any more...

I'm looking for a string that will still give me the brightness and growl lacking in flats but aren't so hard that they destroy the frets on my '60 Gibson EBO, '66 Ric 4005, '69 Fender Tele Bass and '78 Ric 4002.

Is there anything that you could recommend that will still sound great but won't destroy the frets. FYI, I've just picked up a set up Elixers to try but I'm certainly open to additional suggestions. Thanks!
  2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I would try a set of DR Hi-Beams. I've played them for the last three years and my frets are still in great shape. They are a stainless steel string, but don't feel as harsh to my fingers either. As for the tone.....
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Have you tried Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. They have plenty of "growl"

(If you're unfamiliar with the TI Jazz Flats, try a search here in the strings forum. There's a lot of posts about them.)
  4. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Thomastik Infeld superalloys are GREAT strings...
  5. PKLehner

Feb 8, 2005
    Denver, CO
  6. My local music store was notified by the Canadian distributor that production of the Slo-Wounds was stopped late last year and that once the existing stock was gone, that was it!

I'll try the Thomastiks on one bass and the Elixers on another. Thanks!
  7. Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    If you liked the SW, you should try the XL. According to d'Addario, they’re essentially the same. Because there wound at normal speed, there cheaper to make and are sold accordingly. The XL might not have the sweet top the SW had, but there really close.

8. I liked SW's too. I found XL's to be more even and clear sounding, with not as much low end and midrange punch. Even though I haven't tried neither I would bet DR Lo-Riders nickel or Blue Steel nickel would be closer. But XL's are good strings too.
  9. PKLehner

Feb 8, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've got the Blue Steels on my bass right now. I like those, but not nearly as much as the slo-wounds.