Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Hey guys.. My first time venturing into this part of the forum. I've been playing for about 14 years and really havent thought about strings too much.. I usually just use Foderas or DR Highbeams on my 6 String Modulus Quantum.. I really depends which are available at the local music store that week.

But, I was hoping someone could suggest a new set of string for me. This would be mainly for my SX Jazz bass. I'm really digging the sound of that bass and plan to take it out more to give my Modulus a break. I mainly just play jazz but sometimes I do some funk/slap stuff in the band. I don't like it to be harshly bright, but I do like some crispness to them. A decent, smooth feel would be nice but not "flatwound" smoothness. The other thing is, this may be hard to explain but I'll try, I like to get some "meat" in my string while I'm playing. Something that feels lower tensioned I guess you can say. When I slap or am digging in, I dont like my string to feel TOO tight. I like them to have some give in them. I usually play far enough back towards the bridge that, for finger style, the tension is pretty tight there for me.

I hope my description can help someone steer me in the right direction. If there is anything else that you would need to know, please ask me.

Edit: I have read the FAQ and many threads on here regarding different strings.. Just would like some opinions more "customized" to my needs..

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you like Foderas or Highbeams, why change just because it's a new bass?

3. Ehh.. Just always lookin to try new stuff.. I'll always go back to those if I dont find anything new that I like.. I just like mixing it up a little bit.. Plus, what may sound good on the modulus may not sound feel good on the jazz.. Very different basses, different scales, etc...