Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Tension and Drop Tuned basses..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by [3], Aug 27, 2003.

1. [3]

[3]

Aug 18, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey guys,
    Just a few questions for those more experienced with setups than myself..
    my bass is tuned C G C F
    at the moment, in a effort to not have a flabby
    E(C)- string, i've put a 135 guage string (B out of a 5er set) there, and the 110 guage is my G string..
    now, this is all well and good, and i've got my action how i want it without much fret-noise..
    my query is, if i put 80 and 65 guage instead of 65 and 45 guage strings as my high C + F strings will the tension be too much for the neck...
    (its only a short scale bass)
    i probably will do this for the next upcoming gigs anyway, but i dont know whether i should leave them on at that tension..
    at the moment, it feels unbalanced to my fingers, having the two super-heavy gauges on the low strings and the normal guages on the high ones..

any suggestions from players using this tuning, and how they set their bass up to avoid fret-buzzing would also be muchly appreciated..

also, does anyone have any pointers for balancing P-Bass pickups..

cheers, and thanks in advance..
    Pete

2. It should be okay. You could loosen the truss rod a touch if you feel the need to ease any uncertainty.

:D:D

Merls