string tension and old hand

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kkaarrll, Sep 21, 2016.

1. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    kkaarrll likes this.
  2. I'm 66. Everything hurts. But I do take glucosamine 2X daily. My knees have improved. And BTW, I like a good tension on my strings. Play till you drop. You'l never regret it.

3. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I am an old man with hand trouble but my solution is to play with extremely high tension flats (LaBella 1954 and similar). This allows you to drop the action extremely low which helps my left hand. For right hand, I play with a very light touch and a very powerful amp. Works for me, might be worth a shot. If right hand gets sore, you can use thumb or a rubber pick (sounds like fingers) to give it a rest.

Willicious, bassbully and kkaarrll like this.
  4. Funny you should mention "glucosamine"...
    I was just reading a post in another thread by someone who's dealt successfully with trigger finger (something I've had to battle myself) by taking glucosamine supplement.

5. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I am trying to improve technique.
    Right hand plucking fingers don't bother me too much, I am already really light touch with those, and do the amp does the work thing already. (I think I came to that by accident naturally somehow)

My left hand is what is wearing me out. I am thinking it is from my guitar background of bending so much. The fretless and learning the slide (glissando?) instead of the bend may help, but my guitar driven tendency to bend strings may be wearing me out.

I will look into the string suggestions thoughtfully, and also try and improve my technique. Thank you.

6. Now I see why the natural stiffness of flats can be a problem for you.

I personally prefer the combination of reasonable stiffness with a low action, like a few have already suggested, but I don't do any bending at all.

kkaarrll likes this.
  7. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I finally found the right instrument, so I am trying :bassist:

8. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I've got a regular set. The G is above 60 lbs.

9. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Talk about whopping!
    Screenshot_2016-09-22-09-38-48-1.png

10. The "regular" set comes with with a 55-G!

11. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    what would be the tension for ti's or legends?

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Who said bass was easier than guitar? :D

kkaarrll likes this.
  13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    IMO TI's were the worse string for my fingers. They are loose and I overplayed on them. If you are used to bending strings thou they are the ticket. Like I and a few others here have said. High tension, low action and a good amp works.

kkaarrll likes this.
  14. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Yeah sorry, I didn't see which gauge OP was referring to.

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Ahhhh, well that changes everything. In that case I'm with @bassbully: TI's will be just the ticket. If you do a lot of bending, you need strings that are, well, "bend-able."

Don't let the price of the TI's scare you off; they really do last for a stupid long time. If you're still reluctant to shell out that much dough for an experiment, keep an eye on the TB Classifieds: I've often noticed people selling used sets there for considerably less than new.

kkaarrll likes this.
  16. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I went to GHS Pressurewounds for the very reason the OP is concerned about. I then went to TI Flats and then on to LaBella Low-Tension flats. All good - but not great - strings IMHE so back to the PW's I went. Right now I'm looking at making a set of SIT Powerwound strings [35-50-70-90] just to see if there's any real advantage to using them. I was about to jump on the Flexsteel wagon because their string tension was even lighter than the PW's but they're already out of production. The main reason I went back to the PW's is that I found flats to be great in the studio but poor live. YMMV but the PW's are working so far . . . but, obviously, I'm always open to the next "greatest thing". :rolleyes:

17. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I'm trying to get away from the bending, especially on the fretless. It is teaching me not to.

do the labella light tensions sound anything like ti's?

18. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Something I'm testing right now is Magnesium Oil. Magnesium is good for muscle cramping, etc. but not all magnesium supplements are created equal. The oil has to be magnesium chloride and you put it on your skin. When you take magnesium orally only a percentage of it gets absorbed into your body but 100% of the oil is absorbed. So far, after just a couple of days, I'd have to say that I'm optimistic. I also take other supplements like spiralina & stuff that have a lot of turmeric in it. Turmeric & ginger have been in my diet for the past 5 years FWIW.

bassbully likes this.
  19. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    I like mine very much.

20. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    For 5 string bass, EB Cobalt Flats are the lowest tension flats I have tried, out of 7 models which include GHS flats. Never tried the La Bella Low Tension flats (only their 1954 set) or Tomastiks.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    kkaarrll likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021