Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Tension Comparison chart (or similar).

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jul 24, 2005.

1. After browsing some of the Flats threads, and noting guys attempting to describe string tension comparison, I wondered if a chart exists that details Lbs/Kgs pull. I wondered if there's a strings guru on this board who might have quantified this sort of thing.

As a flats user I've previously attempted to qualtify this for different makes / types of flats, but with little success.

I'm aware some manufacturers openly give these figuers: others don't. Rotosound, for example, refused to give me this info on the grounds that it was (something like) a trade secret!

Thanks.

John

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
  3. Thanks Dave. Yes, both TI and DAdd' will publish. I'm not sure why Roto take the view they do but I guess they can do exactly what they like!

I wonder whether there's a standard method for measuring string tension so that all makers do it the same way? It would be V nice to see someone publish their own figures for Roto strings. First so we players could get an idea of their tensions and second to send a bit of a message to that company, if you see what I mean!!

John