1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string tension concern?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dukeandrews, Mar 2, 2014.

1. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

Jan 24, 2014
    I have read a fair bit on the threads of this forum and have not found what I am looking for.:confused: So I would like to try a set of Labella flats on my '74 p. My question is should I be concerned with the tension of the deep talkin bass .049-.110 set on the neck of my '74? Is there a significant difference in the sound of the different gauges? Thanks in advance to you all for your experienced answers.;)

2. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Set up wise if they are not the same gauge string you used before you most likely have to tweak your truss rod/action/ intonation a bit. And in my experience using flatwounds I don't think there is much of a difference unless it's a drastic change in string heaviness or thickness. Flat wounds to me feel heavy naturally but I think that is just how they are supposed to feel. I don't think you should be concerned about your neck. Just a few tweaks of the truss rod and you should be fine. I've noticed flats have a higher tension too And the string tension shouldn't matter just as long as you have some relief in your neck for them to vibrate properly. I use roto flats and those things are stiff as hell! But they sound and feel nice. A proper set up and you should be fine.