1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Tension Question

Discussion in 'Ask Ray Riendeau' started by Gtrslngr, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Gtrslngr

Gtrslngr

Jul 10, 2007
    Apex,NC
    I have been using the DR light Sunbeams on my 5 Strings and I recently started dropping thumb off of pickup to rest on b string for muting purposes. I would like the B to be a little more stable under my thumb and I'm wondering if you know if it would make more sense to stay with light gauge and use a set with hex core or if I should just use a heavier set of strings. I play mostly finger style with a fair amount of slap.

2. chrisbass0013

chrisbass0013

Apr 16, 2010
    well if you want it to be more stable i'd say heavier gauge but lighter gauge is better for slapping

3. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    For me it's all technique. I would say work on keeping your thumb stable on any gauge string but focus on doing it lightly but firm. In other words you might be digging in too deep with your thumb. More of the thumbs stability comes from the tip touching the body and not so much resting on the string.
    Hope this helps...