Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string tension - round core vs. hex

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sparktone, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Is there a difference in tension between round core and hex core strings? Say if you had two sets of strings of the same guage, would there be a difference in neck tension between the two?

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Hex core is going to have more tension per the BP string shootout. I find this to be true too switching from fatbeams to Prosteels.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    According to the descriptions on DR's website, the Hi Beams & Sunbeams (round core) have a 'softer' feel (which I take as meaning lower tension) than the Steel & Nickel Low Riders (hex core). I think core size probably has more to do with the resulting tension, but I could believe that a similar sized hex core would feel stiffer than a round core. Also, maybe the windings can 'slide' easier on the surface of the round core (giving a more flexible feel), while the windings may get a bit more 'grip' on the edges of the hex core (resulting in a tighter feel). Just speculation, but sounds logical to me.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I agree, I think the rounds have a softer looser feel. There are many that will chime on and say there is no difference in tension, but I disagree. I try to stick with strings that are easy on my fingers. I have broken them several times throughout the years and am sensitive to the tension on strings. The best sounding strings for my bass are, unfortunatly, that tightest feeling (DR stainless lowriders).

5. >The best sounding strings for my bass are, unfortunatly, that tightest >feeling (DR stainless lowriders).

That's what I'm switching to (M guage), after using Blue Steels (ML). Since I suspect my truss rod may be nearing the end of its rope, I anticipate that the increased string tension may force me to try the ol' washer shim trick.

6. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    I'm in the middle of a bunch of string testing (results to be posted here when I'm done), but part of the test involved stringing my bass with same gauge but different makes of strings. It is instructive to have 3 different brands of A-strings (085) on the guitar at once and be able to feel them side-by-side.

The DR Lo-riders (hex core) definitely feel stiffer than the Sunbeams (round core). I think perhaps the stiffest feeling string set was the D'addario EXPs. Birdsong (www.birdsongguitars.com) also has a new string set out wound on a thicker round core wire that felt really good.

Millard

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    All other variables the same (mass per inch, scale length, pitch), the tension between the two would be identical.

As far as stiffness, though, the hexcore will (generally) be stiffer.

It would do to remember that tension and stiffness are two different things. ;)