Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String tension vs. construction

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chekerbored, Mar 17, 2005.

1. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    I've been looking at strings alot. Im kind of a novice in this area, so i have a couple questions.

How does gauge affect tension? (I like rather tight string tension)

How does nickel compare stainless (as far as tension and string life)

How does flatround and round wound affect tension?

On a side note, would a nut filed for BEAD still work for EADG, or does the gauge difference not matter too much as long as it fits?

2. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Not at all, directly. Mass per inch is proportional to tension. If the string has a layer of low-mass material, such as nylon tape winding or a silk layer (TI Jazz rounds/flats) then they are thicker but lower mass for the thickness. All-steel strings, yer normal roundwounds an flatwounds, no matter what the core construction (they may be stiffer in feel, but the tension will be the same), are most all the same density. So, for them, the thicker the string the higher the tension needed to get a certain pitch.
    Tension, no real difference
    Flatwounds may be a little more densely wound, but pretty much the same.
    If the strings are too tight in the cut, that's a problem obviously. If to loose, there can be problems, but it varies.