Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Tension - Will I break it..?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by craig8pie, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Ey up!

I have an Aria AMB50 El-Acoustic, and a friend has recommended I try Rotosound flatwound strings.

I'm really worried about selecting the wrong type of string and damaging the guitar though! Am I worrying about nothing or is there an issue with strings having different tensions that might fold my guitar in half..?

Cheers!

Craig.

2. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    I am using rotosound flatwounds at the moment, and they are nice, my electric bass is very cheap(220 bucks) and its kinda pulling the bridge end up, but it shouldnt snap your bass in half, unless its made of balsa wood, it just raised the action a mm or 2.

3. Ok, cheers for that!

Incidentally, which gauge did you go for? I'm presuming that the strings that came with the guitar are medium...

Best regards

Craig.

4. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    I dont remember the gauge, i lost the box, but i think they are a bit larger than normal. I am looking for a ruler. I bought them a while ago and they sitll have a good tone.

5. Thanks for the help mate, I now have some Fender Jazz Flatwounds! They were on offer at my local music store at about half price, so I though I'd give them a go. And they're ace! They're medium gague and slightly heavier than the ones that came with the guitar - I altered the neck action via the screw in the sound-hole to compensate so that I have the same, if not lower action than before.
    I'm going to buy another set for my electric bass too!

Best regards,

Craig Marston.