Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jackmurray, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I don't want an argument and people calling me a bad scientist or anything, so with out using any technical terms I'll explain my problem and see if anyone can fix it.

I have medium guage strings. I'm auditioning for a band that tunes C# F# B E. I don't have a chance to get new strings before then. At the moment, my strings are very loose and floppy. Is there any way to increase my string tension, without major work on the bass?

2. ...new strings :bag:

3. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    thats pretty low tuning,the lowest i have ever tuned for a band is a full step,anything beyond that seems weird.

4. Yeah, but they're an awsome band and I really want to get in. I'm thinking about Drop C# tuning. It may cause problems though, if I'm trying to watch the guitarists fingers to find out what we're playing.

Any tips on a tighter tension? I'm thinking about raising my action to stop the floppiness, but I don't think it'll increase the tension much.

5. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    If your neck has abit of a bow, ajust your "rod" so it doesnt :p

6. You honestly can't increase the tension without putting on heavier strings. There is no way.

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    You will need a new nut to go along with those strings, and possibly bridge modifications.

You'd probably be better off getting a 5-string bass, and tuning *up* a whole step.

But, if you decide to go with 4, use a 5-string set (light, if you can find them), and get your bass set up for them.

8. When you detune that far you'll have to get used to the new tension - no worries, you'll adjust. Certainly, bring the bass to a good luthier to get a new set up for your new tuning, and certainly heavier string will help also. You can also try a stiffer string. I tune C# G# C# F# and play DR Low Rider strings because they are tighter than most other strings out there at the gauge I play 45 - 105. And remember, just because they tune to C# F# B E doesn't mean you have to.

Good luck!

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Dude, why are you using standard strings to do that? Get a light gauge 5 string set, ditch the G, and tune UP. B -> C#, E -> F#, and so on.

10. I just went and played with the band today. I watched them for about 5 mintues first and decided I was completely wasting my time, but I had nothing better to do. I just said that I'm playing in standard in if they want to play the same notes as me they better tune up.

At least it makes me appreciate my band.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Unless you are playing a floppy-bass style of metal, you should look into a 5 string. I imagine you want more tension on your strings so you can play precisely and get a solid sounding tone.

I've played in C# metal bands and use a 5 string in regular BEADG tuning. I just transposed whatever the guitarists were doing (one was in C#, the other was in regular E tuning!). I actually prefer 2nd fret C# to an open-tuned C#- you have a little bit more control. I guess what I am saying is that you might not have to tune up if you get a 5 string. Tuning up a whole step will screw your bass up too unless the neck is some type of log.