1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jumamoro, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Jumamoro

Jumamoro Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Miami FL
    Hi,
    Do somebody has a list of the string tension of most common brands,I ask this because I use DR hi beams but I am looking for less tension.
    Thanks

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There is no all-encompassing list like this - do you like the sound of the DRs? You could always come by a lighter set if you do.

3. LESS tension than Hi Beams!!!! Wow. The best thing to try IMO is a lighter guage of Hi Beams.

4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I think DR Hi-Beams use to be listed as medium tension.

Thomastik Infeld JazzBass (roundwound) are the only "soft" tensioned strings I know but they're Nickell Plated, not stainless steel.

( I looked through Bassplayers March 1996 string test, 88 tested brands/different sets )

5. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    The D'Addario website has a pdf file with all of their string tensions. Incidentally, they're the same tensions as the Ernie Ball strings. I emailed Fender to ask for their chart but got no reply. I haven't looked for other brands.