Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tyjacks, Jan 2, 2003.

1. tyjacks

tyjacks Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Does anyone know how to determine if your strings have enough tension on them. Purchased a Lakland 55-94 Deluxe and changed the factory strings to a lighter guage Fodera strings with a taper core 'B'. The strings do not touch the tension bar or fit in the nut as snug as the factory strings. Any ideas?

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm assuming you mean the tension bar on the headstock. You may just need to tighten the mounting screws of the tension bar. I've used many different strings on my Lakland (including light gauge strings), and I've never had this problem. You'll probably also need to tighten the truss rod a bit, since the lighter strings will have less tension. Wait a day to let the strings and neck "settle in", and then tighten the truss rod only about 1/4 turn at a time, again waiting about a day to see how this adjustment affected the action.

jd

3. tyjacks

tyjacks Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    jdombrow,
    Thanks, for the information. Yes, I did mean the tension bar on the headstock. I'll try screwing it down a little. Is there a tonal difference if you don't have enough string tension. Or basically whats the negative effect.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't think there will be a noticeable tonal difference, however you do want the tension bar to put a slight downward pressure on the strings behind the nut. You could always send an email to Lakland and ask them what is recommended. Good luck.

Jim