1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by theonewhoslaps, Aug 4, 2012.

1. theonewhoslaps

theonewhoslaps

Jan 6, 2012
    I've been having trouble popping my g and d strings on my Spector, it's about as Low to the fretboard as I can get it with all noted still playing right. Do different gauges of strings have different tensions? If so what has lower tension? High gauge or lower?

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Yes, lower gauge of the same string generally have lower tension as you need to tighten it less to get the same note.

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Thin strings in traditional sets have 10 to 12 pounds more tension on them than the bass side - it was done that way so that the bass notes would be as loud as the treble notes - a limitation of amp rigs back then.

Rigs improved but string sets never changed.

With a little homework you can put together balanced tension sets. It will let you play with a more consistent technique from string to string, make the output from string to string more consistent, and will be easier on both the bass and the player.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    ^ What he said.
    Build a custom set from singles with equal tensions, this will ease popping while maintaining a good tension on the E. I recommend 105 80 60 45, 100 75 55 40 or 95 70 50 35. Use a tension chart to design your sets: http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf
    Otherwise, Circle K Strings sell equal tension sets.